Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Second OT Appointment

I'm sitting here doing some research while Dylan is in school and while Ryan takes a nap. My mind is going a million miles a minute because there's one million things I need to do in this brief time of solitude, but research is the heaviest weight I am carrying right now... so here we are. Before I start into the scientific stuff, I wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave me words of encouragement yesterday. Guess I just hit one of life's speed bumps. I have since smacked myself out of my stupid pity party and am back on track. Focused to do whatever it takes to be a strong mommy for Ryan and Dylan. It really just comes down to finding life's balance. But without your love and support yesterday would have been so much worse. By the time daddy came home from work I was all better and ready for dinner... and bed of course. But that had to wait since Ryan decided to take his sweet time falling asleep. It was nice cuddling with him and just ending the day relaxing. I love Ryan for who he is and I refuse to look at him as if something is wrong with him. He just needs work in certain areas.. we all do. So, for those of you who reached out to me, thank you. I needed it and am glad you made my day better without casting judgment. This is why I have chosen to share this part of our lives with you. :) Now, down to business. 


I'm researching what SPD (sensory processing disorder) really means and how it relates to Ryan individually. I joined an online community last night and the parents on there (as well as a good friend of mine) suggested I speak to the OT about what forms of SPD Ryan has... A website I found easily stated those with SPD display sensory defensiveness and "sensory defensiveness is the over-responsiveness of the protective responses of the nervous system."


Today the OT gave me some handouts that better explain some of the different forms of SPD and how it can affect the tactile system. I'm not sure because it seems like Ryan has both a hypersensitive (decreased sensitivity to touch) and hyposensitive (tactile defensiveness) tactile system. Ryan seems more tactile defensive though. The OT today did say that she thinks he has a hyposensitive vestibular system and hypersensitive proprioceptive  system too. When we're at therapy Ryan is constantly on the move and is virtually fearless. He wants to hang from the ceiling and bounce off the trampoline. It's incredible and he loves it! I wish we had a room just for him to be rambunctious in! I'll be continuing the research about it too. 


For the varying degrees of SPD that Ryan has, the OT recommended continuing the Wilbarger Brushing (specific pattern of stimulation delivered using a special type of brush and gentle joint compressions) she prescribed at our first visit, a weighted vest, and various physical activities. She also suggested when we go places to take a pop up tent so Ryan always has a safe place to basically avoid people. She mentioned a weighted blanket too to help him sleep. She also suggested I follow a typical preschool schedule (snack time, nap time, etc). She didn't specify how the schedule needed to be displayed but she did say that therapeutic play should be part of the schedule but to try and fit it into everyday activities (like rolling on the floor to the dinner table, etc). Basically, the stuff boys usually do (rough house, jump off the couch, etc.) is therapeutic for Ryan and gives him a sense of release from his efforts to try and avoid what he doesn't like (light touch for example).  I'm still trying to understand all this too... We wanna get Ryan a Jumpolene too.. that will be fun.. AND therapeutic! 


I am also looking into the Wilbarger Brushing Protocol,  now known as The Wilbarger Deep Pressure and Proprioceptive Technique (DPPT) which is what the pediatric OT prescribed at our first appointment about two weeks ago. I mentioned it in my first blog entry but I am still confused as to the purpose.  I was interested to find that the article states, "emerging evidence and expert opinion indicate that a deep-pressure proprioceptive protocol may be useful in helping children improve their ability to process sensory information effectively... and "It is recommended that using the protocol prior to stressful situations or activities (i.e., dentist, haircut, starting school, etc.) be considered to help the child tolerate participation in these stressful activities." 


"Based on the theory of Sensory Integration, the DPPT uses a prescriptive method of providing stimulation to help the mind-brain-body self-organize. " And the benefits include: 
  • "An improved ability to transition between various daily activities
  • An improvement in the ability to pay attention
  • A decreased fear and discomfort of being touched (tactile defensiveness)
  • An increase in the ability of the central nervous system to use information from the peripheral nervous system more effectively, resulting in enhanced movement coordination, functional communication, sensory modulation, and hence, self-regulation."
So the next time someone asks why we're doing it I can tell them why... kind of. ;) 


I quickly put together a schedule for Ryan... what do you think? Let's see how it goes for a couple of days... I'm already thinking of accommodation that need to be made on Tuesday, but other days of the week should be ok... I think... 
Tentitive schedule is as follows:
8:30am Breakfast/ free play with movie
9:30am Take Dylan to school
10:30am Ryan therapy play
11:30am Speech activity
12 Lunch
12:30pm Read/Nap
1:45pm Pick Up Dylay
2:15pm Snack
2:30pm Ryan speech activity/Dylan homework
4:30pm Therapy play
5pm Movie
6pm Dinner
7pm Bath 
7:30pm Therapy Play with Daddy
8pm Read/Bed Ryan
8:30/9 Read/Bed Dylan


That will have to do for now. I will see what else I can find. I am adding some more links to the blog to help remember where to go for info and to help others have a resource guide. Also, I called and scheduled a follow up appointment with the speech therapist to develop a home plan for Ryan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment