Friday, May 25, 2012

Pictures and Special Thank Yous

One of the aids from Ryan's class got some great pictures of Ryan when they were working on the Mother's day collage. I just love them so much!! Rachel, you are awesome and thank you so much for sending them to me! 

Since starting preschool, Ryan has grown so much! He no longer bangs his head on the floor, he's talking more, and he is all around a more balanced kid. He still has lessons to learn, but compared to the nightmare we were living before, this is much more enjoyable! Now, don't get me wrong, it's work and it takes a lot more effort on our part to provide the outlets Ryan needs to stay balanced. The joy and ease comes in having those resources available to turn to. Whereas before it was as if I were trying to fit a round peg into a square hole. 

All the traditional approaches of parenting and discipline don't generally work for a special needs kid. I think it's safe to say that for all special needs, but what do I know... Needless to say, assuming Ryan understood or was acting out of complete defiance every time discipline was in order was a real problem. For a balanced kid, running into the street is a given and when they make the mistake of doing it anyway, discipline is in order for their well being. In Ryan's case, a swift kick in the butt isn't always the answer. He doesn't fully grasp danger, pain, fear, and all other results of running into traffic. This is just one example (and a fresh one at that. When I picked him up yesterday from school he flirted with the idea of running into the street). 

I say all that to say I am grateful for the progress he has made. It seems just a short time ago that he barely made eye contact, never answered to his name, and hardly spoke more than one word answers. I couldn't have believed this little boy could progress as fast as he has if it weren't for the great people who have believed in him (maybe even more then I did at times). Michelle, his OT, has been a life saver! She always helps me stay focused on what needs to be addressed. She reminds me that Ryan is just another kid that needs boundaries and love. She truly has helped me to enjoy this journey of discovering my little boy. I joke with her that I will be bringing Ryan until he is 18!! 

Christianne, Ryan's teacher, has become a friend and a great support for me. She works so hard to genuinely understand what Ryan needs as if he were her only student. I am grateful for her words of encouragement and I am overjoyed at the discovery of a new friend! She has accomplished milestones with Ryan that I thought were at least a year from possible! I can't imagine leaving my special boy with anyone else on a day to day basis! I am so happy we have another year together. Thank you so much Christianne! 

I am grateful for my husband, who manages to reach Ryan no matter how upset he is. It's almost like Ermes can read Ryan's mind. It's always been that way even before the diagnosis. It is always a joy to see those two play together and enjoy each other's company! It makes my world complete. No one understands Ryan as much as daddy does and for that I am eternally grateful! God truly knew what he was doing when he gifted Ryan to us! Ryan really makes Ermes' life complete! 

There is someone who has been there for me from the beginning, and I need to thank her! Wende, if it weren't for you I would never even had Ryan tested. Thank you Josiah! I love you little man! Wende has encouraged me from day 1! I know no one takes pride in Ryan's progress as much as Wende does!! Ryan will always hold a special place in Wende's heart. Thank you Wende, I love you!! 


Now, if you're reading this and are offended that I didn't write something special for you... get over it. I'm only kidding.. a little. There will always be people who help you more than others and in this case some people have directly impacted Ryan's journey. I guess the theme of this blog is more about Ryan's progress than it is about my emotional support system.  And there are of course more than just the people I named that have been an asset to this journey (I could really write a novel). Please know that if you know me, really know me, then know I love you! I couldn't have survived (at least remained sane) without all of your love and support. Sometimes honor is due to people who really make themselves available and truly give of themselves. I am open to takers who want to prove themselves by babysitting ;) Just kidding. I guess if it bothers you that I didn't write something just know that's a great sign of how much you love us and how much you care, and in some ways I should write something for you too...but that will have to wait for another post because it's time to pick up Dylan from school. 

















1 comment:

  1. What an amazing post! I love hearing the progress of Ryan, you guys are such hard working parents and Ryan is lucky to have your patience, love and eagerness to find what works for him, so don't forget to pat yourself on the back for your hard incredible work and what a great job you are doing! And thanks for bringing tears to my eyes! You give me way more credit then I deserve! Ryan is an amazing little guy and he is a joy to have in class, he keeps me on my toes and brings so many smiles to my face! Thank you for sharing your little guy with us and thanks for all your support, trust and respect you give myself and my staff! You are an awesome parent to have a part of our class and I can't wait to see his progress next year!!!
    ~Christianne~

    ReplyDelete